Cake smash photography in Singapore! It’s a lesser-known trend but not something to be overlooked. Baby bump pictures? Sure. Newborn pictures? Essential. However, we often forget to celebrate every little moment of our small children’s lives, including their fascination with cake.
Face it, who doesn’t love cake?
Cake smash photography is a trend that began in the United States but has picked up attention across the world, particularly in Singapore. The benefit of cake smash photography is that the photoshoots are child-led. Are they hesitant and uncertain about playing with the cake?
The photographer works with them, playing, making faces, whatever is necessary to engage them. When the child grows bored, the photographer moves on with them.
Many of the cake smash photography studios in Singapore go out of their way to make the experience a time to remember, from providing outfits and showering facilities to working with you, the parent, in the smallest of details. After all, these moments pass far too quickly.
Table of Contents
This is Cake Smash 🙂
Why should you consider doing a cake smash for your child’s first birthday?
Having a cake smash photoshoot has been an increasingly popular way to celebrate a child’s first birthday. Below are three reasons why you should consider doing a cake smash for your child’s first birthday:
- It’s cute and it’s fun. Cake smashes are so popular because pictures of a child getting messy with a birthday cake are fun. Whether your child loves the cake or hates it, the photos will be a cute way to remember your child’s first birthday.
- It creates a good memory. Not only will you have photos of your child when they turn one, but you’ll have the memory of creating the cake smash photoshoot with them. These photos can be displayed at graduations, shared at weddings, and hung in your home.
- Your child only turns one once. Because cake smashes are traditionally done for a baby’s first birthday, you really only have one chance to do this kind of photoshoot with your child.
Choosing a Studio for the Cake Smash Photoshoot
This list of Top Cake Smash Photographers in Singapore could well be overwhelming. Here are some recommendations we have for choosing the studio that would work best for you:
- Consider location – how close is the studio to you? We have provided exact addresses.
- Consider your specific wishlist. Some of the photographers focus on natural lighting, others on props, some on both. What feel do you want for your pictures specifically? (This is good to know for further communication with the studio as well.)
- What are your special needs? Do you have older children who will be accompanying you? Consider the space available and other accommodations so that your older children will be entertained.
- Double-check what the studio provides for the cake smash shoot, and what you will be expected to bring. At times the price of one studio may seem ridiculously high compared to another’s, but they may well provide more, including outfits and a professionally-made cake.
This said – on to the list!
Finest Lens Photography
First on our list is Finest Lens Photography. For cake smash photography, the studio provides clothing (if needed) and has full showering facilities. This way, the cake can be fully smashed without fears of staining clothes or dealing with the mess afterward. SK works wonderfully with babies, spending time at the beginning of the photoshoot to build rapport and ensure the entire process is as pleasant as possible!
Their reviews are overwhelmingly positive, rating the service at “five out of five stars!”. One client writes, “We enjoyed the photo shooting with SK, who is very friendly. It was a very quick turnaround, and we received the edited photos within the day of the photo shooting.”
Click here to visit the website
Book Finest Lens Photography or similar cake smash photographers in Singapore. Check out all portrait photography packages here.
White Room Studio
“Your stories, our imagination!” is White Room Studio’s motto. Though gifted with many awards, the studio is still down-to-earth, focused on their customers’ stories.
Wondering what sets White Room Studio apart? Take a look at this real customer review: “It’s our first Christmas with our baby boy, and we wanted to capture the essence of all that is Christmas for little ones… White Room Studio did a FANTASTIC job… Excellent customer service and the photographs are just gorgeous—we are so in love!”
“They were very friendly and approachable and didn’t force anything but help you make your decision in terms of the attire, the appointment, and then shoot.” says another customer.
Click here to visit the website
Book White Room Studio or similar cake smash photographers in Singapore. Check out all portrait photography packages here.
P.S. I Love You Photography
There are more ways than one to celebrate that special First Year Old Milestone. Some may go with the usual cake smash with tons of cream and buttery fingers, but at P.S. I Love You Photography, a photo studio based in Singapore, you are spoilt for choice.
Boosting a cozy indoor studio and an outdoor garden, you can have the option of a 2 in 1, Studio+Garden concept. Babies who are not fans of a creamy mess fret not for we also provide Fruit Smashes with watermelons or an outdoor spa complete with a Lemon Tub Soak and bubbles.
Take your pick. At the end of the day, we hope to capture your baby’s brightest toothy grins in a unique way to remember that first birthday. Buzz us for a chat anytime!
Book P.S. I Love You Photography or similar cake smash photographers in Singapore. Check out all portrait photography packages here.
Fun fact – Fion Boon actually provides the cake for your cake smash photography session in Singapore! You will, however, need to bring your own outfits. The photoshoot takes place in the home of photographers Fion and Elmer, who are very attentive to your child’s every need.
The photography team is open for suggestions – including your child’s favorite songs and items that may aid in the photoshoot! Their set designs are beautifully crafted to fit your chosen color scheme.
Fion Boon is flexible and fun, willing to work with their props or your own. Regarding the cake, be sure to inform them of any allergies ahead of time.
Fion and Elmer are particularly good at close-up shots, so be sure to ask about that option! They provide every one of the images afterward, along with a 30 x 40cm high-resolution print copy of an image chosen by you. They even manage to print the image on canvas, for an additional fee.
Book Fion Boon or similar cake smash photographers in Singapore. Check out all portrait photography packages here.
“Too often, life moves at such a fast pace that it seems to pass us by before we can fully appreciate it,” says Picspiration Photography. Their focus is on preventing time from passing unawares – offering photography for the various stages of life.
Various side projects, from a guide on taking photos from your smartphone to various books-in-progress showcase chief photographer Alexandria’s passion. “Unlike your wedding photos, you will find yourself going over your baby’s pictures again and again – because time flies so darn quickly and before you know it, that sleepy, sweet, milkaholic is a rampaging toddler revelling in flushing your watch down the toilet.” says one customer.
“This is why I am so glad we went to Alex from the start, to capture some amazing milestones in our little one’s life. Alex is amazing at coaxing smiles from grumpy faces, capturing those little moments between father and son, grandma and grandchild or the love between three generations in one photograph. Thank you for giving us some really beautiful pictures of our little family Alex – being a self conscious camera shy mom, I really appreciate how stress free and natural the shoots have been and look forward to the next milestone (cake smash!)”
Book Picspirations Photography or similar cake smash photographers in Singapore. Check out all portrait photography packages here.
Next – Bambini Photography! This studio specializes in maternity, baby, kids and family photography, focusing on the story of each and every client.
Bambini Photography recommends bringing towels, wet wipes, and an extra set of clothing. After all, cake smash photography is a mess.
This studio, in particular, is excellent at prompt, professional communication, from the moment that you send in your requests to the time of the photoshoot itself. Here’s a quote from one of their clients: “He (Daryl: photographer) was very professional yet casual enough to make people at ease. He tried to explain why certain photos were taken at certain angles.”
The studio is open to suggestions and discussions with clients, making the entire process a pleasurable experience.
Book Bambini Photography or similar cake smash photographers in Singapore. Check out all portrait photography packages here.
Confetti Peektures – what a creative name – focuses on simplicity. With soft, romantic lighting and editing and minimal props, all of the focus is on the little customer. Confetti Peekture provides eggless and sugarless cake in a custom color for your child and a themed setup specific to you, as well as classical family photographs – before all of the mess begins!
Show up with a couple of outfits and Confetti Peektures will take care of the rest.
Here’s a quote from a satisfied customer – “Angie was a lovely photographer, super sweet and attentive. She took much care in delivering the styles of photos I liked and even helped me to change into my gown. Even though we were late for our photoshoot, she was still very friendly and accommodating. Thank you, Angie, for the wonderful experience and for the beautiful photos we can look back on for the rest of our lives!”
Book Confetti Pekkture or similar cake smash photographers in Singapore. Check out all portrait photography packages here.
Cottony Photography’s beautiful website speaks for itself.
Surprisingly enough, Cottony Photography is the only cake smash photography studio in Singapore that offers trades – possibly rendering this the best choice if you’re on a budget!
The reviewer’s comments reflect the photographers’ patience – “We were told to feed Daniel and have him sleeping. Usually he would sleep immediately after being fed but on this very day, he decided to be super awake. Era was an absolute angel about it. And she was super patient with Daniel. I guess now that to be able to take newborn shoots, the photographer must love kids, and must be patient with all of this. As new parents, we were flustered and trying our best to help and feeling bad along the way but she assured us that it’s all ok. The newborn photography shots came out a lot better than I thought it would.”
Book Cottony Photography or similar cake smash photographers in Singapore. Check out all portrait photography packages here.
“Cake smash is all about making a mess and loving every moment of it!”
Studioplay’s website is full of authentic, truly joyful cake smash pictures. They love dark brown and textured blue with exquisitely themed cakes.
“I’ve been using StudioPlay since my daughter’s newborn shoots and we have been going back annually to document her growing years! Throughout the years, we have been assigned to all different photographers and they are all very professional and engaging! Never fails to capture my daughter’s most natural smile! Studioplay’s team is willing to work with the unprecedented and unusual, putting the customer’s needs above all else. They become more of a family than mere photographers. 10/10 would recommend! ” says one customer.
Book Studioplay or similar cake smash photographers in Singapore. Check out all portrait photography packages here.
Earning 5-star reviews from over 100 clients, Yikeshu is one of the leading photography studios in Singapore. They are highly recommended for their services by past clients as one wrote, “Entire shooting session was relaxing, fuss-free, and most of all, enjoyable. Worth your money definitely.”
Their team of photographers possesses a lighthearted and extravagant photography style and handle babies and toddlers with patience and care. During a photo session at this studio, festive decorations, like balloons, streamers, and string lights, are all provided.
In addition to cake smash photography in Singapore, Yikeshu studio does bridal and maternity photo sessions as well.
Book Yikeshu or similar cake smash photographers in Singapore. Check out all portrait photography packages here.
How much does a cake smash photoshoot cost in Singapore?
If you’re having your child’s cake smash in Singapore, you can expect to pay a few hundred dollars for the photoshoot. Studios offer different packages. The studios that advertised their prices started at $325 for a cake smash photo session. Some studios charged well over $1000.
When you’re looking for a studio to do the photoshoot for this occasion, it’s important to find out what’s included in the photo package. Because cake smash photoshoots are so messy and involve so many props, photographers will often charge more for these photos than they would for other studio photos of your child.
Indoor (studio) vs. Outdoor cake smash photoshoots
Should you have your cake smash photos taken indoors in a studio or outdoors? Both indoor and outdoor photos have their own sets of pros and cons. Which one works for you will depend on how you want your photos to look.
Indoor Cake Smash Photoshoots
- Offer more control over the background
- May have access to facilities for easy cleanup
- Lighting can be altered to fit desired look
- A private studio means strangers won’t wander into your pictures
- Lack of natural light for photos
- Lack of access to settings that are meaningful to the family (like a park or front yard)
Outdoor Cake Smash Photoshoots
- Natural light good for taking photos
- Setting can be a place meaningful to the family (like a park or front yard)
- Outdoor setting provides unique background for photos
- Weather can impact photoshoots
- Crowds may interfere with photos
- May not have access to facilities for easy cleanup
Choosing a cake for the photoshoot
When choosing a cake for a cake smash photoshoot, there are several factors you should consider:
- Type of cake: certain cakes do not look good in photographs. Chocolate cake, chocolate frosting, and red icing do not look good in photographs. A white or sponge cake will photograph better.
- Type of icing: buttercream or whipped icing will be the easiest for your baby to smash, making it the best option for a smash cake. Thicker icings, like cream cheese icing, will be harder for your child to smash.
- Use of fondant: fondant is hard to chew and can be a choking hazard for your baby. You should only choose a cake with fondant decorations if you’re ready to watch carefully what parts of the cake end up in your baby’s mouth.
- Inedible decorations: pieces of plastic, toothpicks, and other decorations may not be a good idea for your baby’s smash cake because they are a choking hazard.
- Cake color: you should pick a cake that has colors that will look good with the background and props used in your cake smash photoshoot. You should pick colors that are next to each other on the color wheel to give your photoshoot a harmonious look. For example, if your props are blue, you should choose a green, blue, or purple cake.
- Store-bought vs. homemade: store-bought cakes tend to be less dry and have softer icing, making them better for smash cakes. You can still make your own smash cake, but you should make sure the cake and icing will be soft enough to smash easily.
- Allergens: if your baby has allergies, you need to make sure the cake you’re purchasing does not have your baby’s allergens in it. Some bakeries are equipped to handle special orders. If your baby’s allergy is severe, you should consider making a homemade cake.
- Alternatives to cake: you don’t need to have a cake for birthday smash photos. Your baby can smash watermelon, donuts, tacos, or anything else they’ll enjoy. This can be a great option if your child has food allergies.
Selecting cake smash outfits
It’s important to remember that cake smashing is very messy, so your child should be dressed accordingly.
Outfits for boys
Boys can be dressed in a diaper only, a simple onesie, or a more complex outfit. A diaper paired with accessories (like ties or hats) can be a cute and easy to clean option for your baby boy’s cake smash.
Outfits for girls
Girls can be dressed in simple onesies or frilly dresses. While a simple onesie paired with accessories like hair bows and jewelry can be easy to clean up, some parents choose to dress their girls in frilly dresses instead. Although your child’s outfit should be easy to clean or change, an occasion like a photoshoot may warrant the risk of ruining a frilly dress.
Getting ready for your cake smash photo shoot
To help you prepare for your child’s cake smash photo shoot, we’ve compiled a list of things you should do before the day of the photo shoot:
- Book your photo shoot session. Because some photographers have full schedules, you should try to book the session a month or two in advance to guarantee your preferred date is available. If you want photos printed before your child’s birthday, you should book a session date that’s a month before his or her birthday.
- Sign any necessary contracts. When you book your cake smash in Singapore, you may be asked to sign a contract. This allows you to reserve your photographer’s time and may penalize you if you make a last minute cancellation.
- Find out what the photographer will be providing. Your photographer may provide props, cake, and more for your photo shoot. Make sure you know what your photographer includes for the price of your photo shoot.
- Make sure the cake is purchased. If you’re getting a cake from a bakery, make sure the bakery has plenty of time to make your cake. Contact local bakeries to find out how much a smash cake costs and how much notice they need to complete your order on time.
- Put together any props you want for the photo shoot. While many photographers will have some props available, you’ll want to purchase or create any special props you want used in your photo shoot. For example, if you want a banner with your child’s name on it, you’ll most likely need to provide it yourself.
- Make sure your child’s outfit is purchased, clean, and ready. Think through what you want your child to wear for their cake smash photos. If it is an outfit you already have, make sure it is clean and ready for the day of the photo shoot.
Logistics for the day of the photoshoot
The day of the cake smash photoshoot can be hectic. To help you prepare, below are some tips to manage logistics on the day of the photoshoot:
- Take out the cake a few hours before the photoshoot. Because you want the icing and cake to be soft, you should make sure that the cake has plenty of time to warm up after being in the fridge. Allow it to soften on the counter for a few hours before the photo shoot.
- Bring extra outfits for you and your baby. Your baby will get messy, and you’ll want to change them into clean clothes before returning home. Because you may help them with the photo shoot, you may also want to bring a fresh change of clothes for yourself and any other family members who will be with you.
- Bring soap, towels, and wipes. Make sure you’ve packed everything you need to get you and your baby clean after the photo shoot. Because icing can be greasy, you’ll want to have soap or body wash to get your baby clean.
- Make sure your baby is well rested. It’s best to pick a time when your baby is usually awake and in a good mood. If this is not possible, make sure they’re well rested on the day of the photo shoot. A tired baby may not be interested in cake smashing.
- Make sure your baby is hungry. If your baby is a little hungry, they’re more likely to smash and eat the cake.
- Before the photo shoot, find out where you’ll be cleaning up. Have the photographer point you to where you and your baby can clean up after the photos are done. Knowing exactly where you’re going can help you get your baby clean after the photos are taken.
Managing your baby during the cake smash
Your baby’s mood can have a major impact on the quality of photos during a cake smash photoshoot. We’ve compiled a few tips to help you manage your baby’s behavior during his or her photoshoot:
- Make sure your baby is well rested. A tired baby is more likely to be cranky. If possible, make sure your baby is rested before the photo shoot.
- Bring treats you know they’ll like to the photo session. If your baby has never had cake, they may be hesitant to try it. To help get your baby started smashing the cake, put treats you know they enjoy on top of the cake.
- Help your baby smash the cake. Your baby might need help getting started. Don’t be afraid to get your hands dirty to help them get interested in the cake smash.
- Relax. Babies can feel tension. Even if the photos aren’t turning out how you imagined, stay upbeat. Your baby can tell when you’re stressed. If you’re in a bad mood, they will be as well.
Here we are – the Top 17 Cake Smash Photographers in Singapore! We understand that this list could well be overwhelming. Perhaps by this point you are thinking that maybe this is too much to consider.
Don’t allow FUD – Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt – keep you from experimenting with something new! Each of these cake smash photography studios go out of their way to make this service the ultimate experience, from providing clothing changes and/or the cake to offering service trades. Each studio works with your baby specifically, taking the entire photoshoot at their pace.
Also, be sure to check out our post on Cake smash photography. It will give you some great insights into – what to look for in a cake smash photographer, how to prepare for the photoshoot, the attire, the cake, the theme.. everything! Further, if there is still time for your baby to turn 1 but nevertheless you want to capture those gorgeous moments, see our step by step guide on newborn photography and our list of the top 33 photographers in Singapore specialing in newborn photography.
Peruse the list. Consider location, your specific wishlist, and your personal needs. Examine what exactly the studio of your choice provides – and then go for it.
Enjoy your cake smash photography session in Singapore!