Cake smash photography in Singapore! It’s a lesser-known trend but not something to be overlooked. Baby bump pictures? Sure. Newborn pictures? Essential. However, we often forget to celebrate every little moment of our small children’s lives, including their fascination with cake.
Face it, who doesn’t love cake?
Cake smash photography is a trend that began in the United States but has picked up attention across the world, particularly in Singapore. The benefit of cake smash photography is that the photoshoots are child-led. Are they hesitant and uncertain about playing with the cake?
The photographer works with them, playing, making faces, whatever is necessary to engage them. When the child grows bored, the photographer moves on with them.
Many of the cake smash photography studios in Singapore go out of their way to make the experience a time to remember, from providing outfits and showering facilities to working with you, the parent, in the smallest of details. After all, these moments pass far too quickly.
Table of Contents
This is Cake Smash 🙂
Looking for a Cake Smash Photographer in SIngapore?
Discover the perfect cake smash photographer in Singapore for your baby’s 1st birthday on Shutterturf. Our platform features experienced photographers who can capture those special moments.
Portfolio [Click to enlarge images]
Why should you consider doing a cake smash for your child’s 1st birthday?
Having a cake smash photoshoot has been an increasingly popular way to celebrate a child’s first birthday. Below are three reasons why you should consider doing a cake smash for your child’s first birthday:
- It’s cute and it’s fun. Cake smashes are so popular because pictures of a child getting messy with a birthday cake are fun. Whether your child loves the cake or hates it, the photos will be a cute way to remember your child’s first birthday.
- It creates a good memory. Not only will you have photos of your child when they turn one, but you’ll have the memory of creating the cake smash photoshoot with them. These photos can be displayed at graduations, shared at weddings, and hung in your home.
- Your child only turns one once. Because cake smashes are traditionally done for a baby’s first birthday, you really only have one chance to do this kind of photoshoot with your child.
How to choose a cake smash photographer in singapore?
When choosing a cake smash photographer in Singapore, there are a few things to consider to ensure that you are selecting the right photographer for your needs.
- Look at their portfolio: A photographer’s portfolio will give you a good idea of their style, creativity, and level of expertise. Check out their past work and see if their style aligns with your vision for your baby’s cake smash photoshoot.
- Consider their experience: Experience is crucial when it comes to photography, especially when it comes to photographing babies. Look for a photographer who has experience with cake smash photography and has a good understanding of how to work with babies.
- Read reviews and ask for references: Look for reviews or testimonials from past clients. Ask for references and speak to their previous clients to get an idea of their experience working with the photographer.
- Check for availability: Make sure that the photographer is available on the date of your baby’s cake smash photoshoot. Some photographers book up quickly, so it’s best to secure your booking early.
- Discuss your vision: Before booking a photographer, discuss your vision for the photoshoot with them. This will help ensure that you are on the same page and that the photographer can deliver the results you are looking for.
- Compare pricing: Compare pricing and packages offered by different photographers to find one that fits your budget. Keep in mind that the cheapest option may not always be the best choice, as the quality of the photographs is also important.
By considering these factors, you can make an informed decision and choose a cake smash photographer in Singapore who will be able to capture beautiful and memorable photographs of your baby’s special day.
What to look for in a Studio for the Cake Smash Photoshoot in Singapore?
When choosing a studio for a cake smash photoshoot, there are a few amenities and factors to consider in order to ensure that the studio is the right fit for your needs.
- Location: Look for a studio that is easily accessible via car, train, or public transportation. Consider the distance from your home or location of the party as well as parking availability.
- Lighting: Natural light is ideal for photography, so look for a studio that has large windows or skylights that allow plenty of natural light to flood in. If the studio does not have natural light, ensure that it has good artificial lighting.
- Props and backdrops: Look for a studio that has a variety of props and backdrops to choose from. This will give you more options for creating the perfect look for your baby’s cake smash photoshoot.
- Cleaning amenities: A cake smash photoshoot can get messy, so look for a studio that has a bathroom or designated area for cleaning up. This will make the process much more convenient for you and your baby.
- Space: Make sure that the studio has enough space for your baby to move around and explore during the photoshoot. It should also have enough room for any additional guests or family members who will be present during the photoshoot.
- Additional amenities: Some studios may have additional amenities such as a kitchen, changing area, or even a play area for kids. These amenities can make the experience more comfortable for both you and your baby.
- Equipment: Check if the studio has the necessary equipment such as cameras, lenses, and lighting equipment. This will ensure that the photographer has everything they need to capture high-quality photographs.
- Flexibility: Look for a studio that is flexible and willing to work with you to create the perfect setting for your baby’s cake smash photoshoot. This could include allowing you to bring in your own props, decorations, or even your own cake if desired.
- Safety: Ensure that the studio is a safe and secure environment for your baby. This includes things like non-slip flooring and safe storage for props and equipment.
- Cost: Compare prices and packages offered by different studios to find one that fits your budget. Keep in mind that the cheapest option may not always be the best choice, as the quality of the studio and the services provided are also important.
By considering these factors, you can make an informed decision and choose a studio that is the perfect fit for your baby’s cake smash photoshoot, and also provide you with the necessary amenities to make the experience comfortable and memorable for you and your baby.
Indoor (studio) vs. Outdoor cake smash photoshoots
Should you have your cake smash photos taken indoors in a studio or outdoors? Both indoor and outdoor photos have their own sets of pros and cons. Which one works for you will depend on how you want your photos to look.
Indoor Cake Smash Photoshoots
- Offer more control over the background
- May have access to facilities for easy cleanup
- Lighting can be altered to fit desired look
- A private studio means strangers won’t wander into your pictures
- Lack of natural light for photos
- Lack of access to settings that are meaningful to the family (like a park or front yard)
Outdoor Cake Smash Photoshoots
- Natural light good for taking photos
- Setting can be a place meaningful to the family (like a park or front yard)
- Outdoor setting provides unique background for photos
- Weather can impact photoshoots
- Crowds may interfere with photos
- May not have access to facilities for easy cleanup
Choosing a cake for the photoshoot
A cake smash for babies typically features a different type of cake than you’d purchase for a regular birthday cake. To help you understand what you should look for from this cake, these are some of the most important considerations we recommend keeping in mind when purchasing a cake:
- Size of the Cake – For the best effect in photos during the baby cake smash in Singapore, we recommend going for a medium-sized cake The most common sizes are 6 or 7 inches diameter. This will be big enough for your baby to get their hands on without being too large for them to tackle. A medium-sized cake will show up well in photos but won’t hide your baby when they are seated behind it.
- Decorations – Your decoration choices for a smash cake in Singapore are almost unlimited. We recommend getting a big “1” frosted on the cake, or otherwise, you can use a candle to show their age. Choose your color scheme for the photoshoot in advance, which you can then match their clothing and accessories to. The only colors we recommend avoiding are brown and red, as these are a little too closely related to certain bodily functions! You will probably want to stick to a lighter color, as dark cakes can become very messy.
- Ingredients – Baby smash cakes can be made to fit your baby’s requirements, so you’ll want to let the baker know if your baby can’t eat wheat, refined sugar, or egg. Many bakers will avoid using eggs altogether, as so many babies are sensitive to this ingredient. Nuts are another ingredient to avoid, as so many babies are allergic to them. Avoid buying a cake that has too much sugar in it, as this can give your baby a sugar rush, making them either hyperactive or anxious.
- Allergens: if your baby has allergies, you need to make sure the cake you’re purchasing does not have your baby’s allergens in it. Some bakeries are equipped to handle special orders. If your baby’s allergy is severe, you should consider making a homemade cake.
- Avoid Chocolate or Red Cake – Even if you think your child will enjoy a chocolate cake, we encourage you to avoid it. It looks very gross when it gets all over the baby’s legs and won’t create the images you’ve always dreamed of. Stick to a plain vanilla cake for young babies.
- Frosting – The frosting is what makes a cake smash for babies so much fun for both you and the baby. We always recommend avoiding harder fondant and instead stick with butter or whipped cream frosting. This will allow your baby to enjoy diving into the frosting and getting messy, which creates the most memorable photos from this occasion. This is one of the reasons we always recommend using one of the best cake shops in the area, as they make much softer frosting than store-bought cakes.
- Encourage Your Baby To Eat Cake Beforehand – If your baby hasn’t eaten cake before and you’ve booked a special photoshoot or party for this occasion, we encourage you to get them familiar with the cake before the big day. You’ll be able to find out what type of cake they like best, and they’ll get used to the texture and taste of the cake.
- Candles and Toppers – Candles and toppers are a great way to decorate a plainer cake. Remember that these will be removed within minutes, so you don’t need to spend an absolute fortune on them. As they likely will have a spike to stick into the cake, you need to remove them to avoid injuring your baby once the fun begins.
- Pack Alternative Snacks – If you think your child isn’t going to enjoy the cake at all, we encourage you to pack some extra snacks for the big day. Something you know they will enjoy may entice them to get involved with the fun more. While you might find it surprising that a kid wouldn’t like cake, it’s a lot more common than you might expect
- Alternatives to cake: you don’t need to have a cake for birthday smash photos. Your baby can smash watermelon, donuts, tacos, or anything else they’ll enjoy. This can be a great option if your child has food allergies.
Top Cake Shop for a Baby Smash Cake in Singapore
We want to list the best smash cake shops here. So if you know someone who makes great smash cakes and want to get listed here? Please email us.
Delcie’s Desserts and Cakes
Delcie’s offers a full range of options for a baby cake smash in Singapore, and you’ll find they can cater to any allergies by eliminating the necessary ingredients in their cakes. They’ve won multiple local awards for their work, including the Singapore Heartland Enterprise Star Award and the 2020 Top 3 Cake Shops in Kallang.
Previous customers praise their attention to detail and the stunning cakes they create. They bake simple yet stylish designs that will look perfect in your baby cake smash photos this year.
|Email (click to email)||[email protected]|
|Whatsapp (click to message)||93636336|
Selecting cake smash outfits
It’s important to remember that cake smashing is very messy, so your child should be dressed accordingly.
Cake smash outfit for boys
When it comes to choosing a baby cake smash outfit for boys in Singapore, avoid any fancy clothes because of all the mess during the session. Keep your budget lower for this outfit, at about $30-40, as it’s likely you won’t be able to rescue it after. Most babies go without shoes for this part of the session, as they may find them uncomfortable when playing around with the cake.
For boys, a small pair of shorts with suspenders in light or bold color is a great option. Try to avoid red or brown, as these both have a good look for this occasion. We recommend going for something a little brighter, such as bright blue, which will disguise some of the mess.
However, if you don’t care about using the outfit again, white will show up the color of the cake well in the photos. By now, you should know if your baby’s skin is irritated by any materials, so make sure to avoid these when picking the outfit so they aren’t fidgeting around in the photos.
To finish off the outfit, consider a fun hat, such as a knitted beanie or even a small top hat or bow tie.
Cake smash outfit for girls
Moving onto the cake smash outfit for girls in Singapore, you’ll probably want to stick with a similar colour scheme as the first outfit. Pink is one of our top choices for the main event, and you can easily find cute outfits and accessories in this colour.
Try to reduce the amount of clothing on your child for the cake smash, and stick with a tutu, skirt, or basic romper. You don’t need to spend more than $30-40 on this outfit and avoid fancy materials that will likely get wrecked.
For accessories, consider a pretty headband or just avoid using one at all. Cotton is a great material choice for this part of the day, as it’s soft and comfortable against your baby’s skin.
Cake smash family group photo
A big part of a baby cake smash is having group photos with your baby, their siblings, and the parents.
Try to opt for a cohesive set of outfits for these photos, sticking to a similar theme or colour scheme. You may choose to match all of your outfits, especially if you have other young children, but for some parents, that is a step too far.
For example, if you have a baby boy, various shades of blue can look great in photos, and the same for girls with pink. Don’t dress up too much as it’s very likely your clothes will get messy, and you’ll want to be able to freely move around and crouch on the floor with your baby. If you do fancy dressing up a little more, a shirt and khakis or a dress can look great for parents.
Getting ready for your cake smash photoshoot in Singapore
To help you prepare for your child’s cake smash photo shoot, we’ve compiled a list of things you should do before the day of the photo shoot:
- Book your photo shoot session. Because some photographers have full schedules, you should try to book the session a month or two in advance to guarantee your preferred date is available. If you want photos printed before your child’s birthday, you should book a session date that’s a month before his or her birthday.
- Sign any necessary contracts. When you book your cake smash in Singapore, you may be asked to sign a contract. This allows you to reserve your photographer’s time and may penalize you if you make a last minute cancellation.
- Find out what the photographer will be providing. Your photographer may provide props, cake, and more for your photo shoot. Make sure you know what your photographer includes for the price of your photo shoot.
- Make sure the cake is purchased. If you’re getting a cake from a bakery, make sure the bakery has plenty of time to make your cake. Contact local bakeries to find out how much a smash cake costs and how much notice they need to complete your order on time.
- Put together any props you want for the photo shoot. While many photographers will have some props available, you’ll want to purchase or create any special props you want used in your photo shoot. For example, if you want a banner with your child’s name on it, you’ll most likely need to provide it yourself.
- Make sure your child’s outfit is purchased, clean, and ready. Think through what you want your child to wear for their cake smash photos. If it is an outfit you already have, make sure it is clean and ready for the day of the photo shoot.
Logistics for the day of the photoshoot
The day of the cake smash photoshoot can be hectic. To help you prepare, below are some tips to manage logistics on the day of the photoshoot:
- Take out the cake a few hours before the photoshoot. Because you want the icing and cake to be soft, you should make sure that the cake has plenty of time to warm up after being in the fridge. Allow it to soften on the counter for a few hours before the photo shoot.
- Bring extra outfits for you and your baby. Your baby will get messy, and you’ll want to change them into clean clothes before returning home. Because you may help them with the photo shoot, you may also want to bring a fresh change of clothes for yourself and any other family members who will be with you.
- Bring soap, towels, and wipes. Make sure you’ve packed everything you need to get you and your baby clean after the photo shoot. Because icing can be greasy, you’ll want to have soap or body wash to get your baby clean.
- Make sure your baby is well rested. It’s best to pick a time when your baby is usually awake and in a good mood. If this is not possible, make sure they’re well rested on the day of the photo shoot. A tired baby may not be interested in cake smashing.
- Make sure your baby is hungry. If your baby is a little hungry, they’re more likely to smash and eat the cake.
- Before the photo shoot, find out where you’ll be cleaning up. Have the photographer point you to where you and your baby can clean up after the photos are done. Knowing exactly where you’re going can help you get your baby clean after the photos are taken.
Managing your baby during the cake smash
Your baby’s mood can have a major impact on the quality of photos during a cake smash photoshoot. We’ve compiled a few tips to help you manage your baby’s behavior during his or her photoshoot:
- Make sure your baby is well rested. A tired baby is more likely to be cranky. If possible, make sure your baby is rested before the photo shoot.
- Bring treats you know they’ll like to the photo session. If your baby has never had cake, they may be hesitant to try it. To help get your baby started smashing the cake, put treats you know they enjoy on top of the cake.
- Help your baby smash the cake. Your baby might need help getting started. Don’t be afraid to get your hands dirty to help them get interested in the cake smash.
- Relax. Babies can feel tension. Even if the photos aren’t turning out how you imagined, stay upbeat. Your baby can tell when you’re stressed. If you’re in a bad mood, they will be as well.
Here we are – the Top Cake Smash Photographers in Singapore! Don’t allow FUD – Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt – to keep you from experimenting with something new!
Enjoy your cake smash photography session in Singapore!
What is a cake smash photo shoot?
A cake smash photo shoot is a type of portrait session that is becoming increasingly popular, especially among parents of young children. The basic idea is that the child is given a small cake to eat and play with, and the photographer captures the resulting messiness! These sessions can be great fun for both the child and the parents, and the results can be some truly memorable and adorable photos.
What is a smash cake?
A smash cake is a cake that’s designed especially for a baby’s first birthday during a baby cake smash in Singapore. The idea behind the smash cake is that your baby will get involved with the fun and break apart the cake. This cake is generally softer and is created just for young children to enjoy, without some of the common ingredients a cake would usually include.
How much does a cake smash photoshoot cost in Singapore?
For a cake smash photoshoot in Singapore, you can expect to pay $400 – $700 for a photo session. Also, some studios charged well over $1000. When you’re looking for a studio to do the photoshoot for this occasion, it’s important to find out what’s included in the photo package. Because cake smash photoshoots are so messy and involve so many props, photographers will often charge more for these photos than they would for other studio photos of your child.
What are smash cakes made of?
Smash cakes are made from typical cake ingredients such as flour, milk, butter, sugar, and eggs. However, many smash cakes are tailored to accommodate baby’s allergies. You’ll find that you can remove eggs, nuts, wheat, and sugar as needed to fit your baby’s needs. Many smash cakes contain no egg, as this is a common allergy for children.